6 Truths About Success
There is no doubt that success means something different to each of us. Having studied some of the most successful people in the world, as well as coaching some highly successful people as well. I have found that there are some fundamental truths about success. Here are 6 of them:
1) Success is about desire, not demographics. – I have always said that it does not matter where you come from, the only thing that matters is where you are going. I am a testament to this truth about success. If you have ever heard me speak, I always make a point to share my greatest accomplishment in life…I was the Valedictorian of my 5th grade class! I know, that is a pretty pathetic accomplishment huh? What makes it even more pathetic is that I was the only kid in fifth grade! However, I was the smartest kid in my class. Having grown up in a small town in West Texas where the city limit signs are on one pole, no one ever expected much of me; except ME! Don’t let your past determine your future and stop using the excuse that because of where you are from is keeping you from going where you want in life.
2) Success is about growth, not gains. – I know that just upset all my “Type A” friends. Let me explain. It has been my experience that the personal growth which accompanies the success is what allows you to continue to build upon success. If you are fortunate to achieve success only to lose it, then it is who you are that will allow you to regain that same level of success. Success is a byproduct of the person you become while on the journey to achievement. As the saying goes, “You income growth will never exceed your personal growth”. As you grow, you GO!
3) Success is about failure, not fantasies. – I have spent most of my adult life studying success and those who have achieved it. One common denominator in those who have achieved success, it that they failed along the way and used those failures as stepping stones to progress. If you believe that you will achieve success without experiences some level of failure…you are living in a fantasy world. It was during my failures (and I have had many) that I discovered my resolve for success. Unfortunately, most people allow failure to derail them from their success journey. The power failure has over you will be determined by the meaning that you give it. See it for what it is, an opportunity to adjust, learn and move forward with your new knowledge. Failure is not fatal, it’s fabulous!
4) Success is about action, not attitude. – Don’t get me wrong, I am all about having a positive attitude. However, success has never been achieved with attitude alone. If you are going to achieve success, you must stop wishing and start working. Any level of achievement will require that you get outside of your comfort zone and take action. Successful people do what unsuccessful people are willing to do. So, be willing to do the uncomfortable so that someday you can be comfortable with your success. As a mentor of mine once said to me, “Get Up, Get Over It and Get Moving!” 5) Success is about giving, not getting. – I realize that for some people this one is hard to grasp. Our culture has conditioned us to believe that success is all about the accumulation of stuff. The great Tony Robbins talks about the 6 basic human needs. One of those needs is contribution. Tony says, “The secret to living is giving.” I would have to agree with him. Whatever your definition of success is, it will be your contribution to others that makes the biggest impact. Whether it is your time, money or expertise; giving back is the true meaning of success!
5) Success is about giving, not getting. – I realize that for some people this one is hard to grasp. Our culture has conditioned us to believe that success is all about the accumulation of stuff. The great Tony Robbins talks about the 6 basic human needs. One of those needs is contribution. Tony says, “The secret to living is giving.” I would have to agree with him. Whatever your definition of success is, it will be your contribution to others that makes the biggest impact. Whether it is your time, money or expertise; giving back is the true meaning of success!
6) Success is about convergence, not cash. – Convergence is that place where you are doing what you are good at, as well as what you are passionate about. Some people would call this your destiny, calling, life’s purpose and so on. Whatever you want to call it, success will only occur when you have a sense of fulfillment in your life. Once again I will quote Tony Robbins, “Success without fulfillment is failure.” I have found this to be true in my life, how about you? Odds are you have met someone who is extremely successful financially, but miserable in every other area of their life. Don’t let that be you, DO WHAT YOU LOVE!
What are your truths about success?
To Your Success,